designing a 'regenerational' mold with a stone

Hey, my friend wants me to design a ring for her daughter's bat mitzva, to be passed down and remade for generations via a mold or print.

I asked if she wanted a stone and she said she is afraid it would make it too hard to keep recreating the ring.

As I know, stonesetters generally tell CAD techs to just leave the space for the stone blank, and that the stonesetter will just deal with it.

so two questions:

I'm right about the stone? just leave a blank space? I mean, if let's say an aquamarine stone is graded a specific size, most of the stones like that available will be give or take on the same expanse on the ring, no?

the size of the ring is likely going to change from child to grandchild and beyond. My thought is to give her the stl to be resized as needed, as well as find someone to make a mold for her that is stateside (I am in Israel now).

do I sound like I know what I am talking about? Do you have any advice for me regarding this?

thanks in advance

Comments

• also, generally speaking is it cheaper in the long run just to give her the stl and let them keep resizing/reprinting as needed? Is the mold even necessary?

• "As I know, stonesetters generally tell CAD techs to just leave the space for the stone blank, and that the stonesetter will just deal with it. I'm right about the stone? just leave a blank space?"

I have been using a Sarin(tm) diamond scanner to scan main stones and importing the .stl into cad designs with great success. The thing is to turn the mesh into a cutter and offset it a bit .04-.07 to allow for tolerances. It is great for colored gems with wonky geometry and pavilions, setters have complained that it make the job go to easy...

About the mold or .stl, I suggest maintaining control of the file, the client can return to you for more work.

FWIW,

Sananda

• thanks!