Chris Botha

Millicent gets 5 Axis Upgrade!

Rate this Entry
I made the decision to add a 5th Axis to my Minitech Minimill 2 as a hobby project.

I bought a second hand Minitech 5th axis trunnion table unit from fellow forum member Stewy, and assigned a little time each weekend to work on it.

The initial arrival was a worry as it looked far to big for my table.. but it worked out ok.

The BEFORE shot:

4th Axis off... Tool Probe off, XY table ready to fit the trunnion.

This position is the only way it will fit and still allow access to the tool probe.

Cutting forward of the table is impossible.. but the back 120degree of A and teh full 360 of B will suffice

The wiring!!:

I solved my 5V issue by using an external PS 5V 1000ma. It is wired it to a plug socket so that swop out will be easy if this dies (see white plug point wired in the back)

From the initial layout to get motion, the task of fitting it all in the original controller box seem daunting.. but a beer later it was solved.. sometimes resolving an issue requires walking away from it and coming back..

And its all in... Again a very tight fit..

I mounted the B driver board to left of the main 48V power supply

I wired it to the only space left, above the power inlet.

and all assembled and running! (still need to solve the A and B limit wiring)

And the Burn in running!!!

The "run in" code is longhand so use with caution whomever else may follow this thread in future, it relies on you already having zeroed out stuff in safe distances.. it then loops a reasonably safe bit of code 250 times. "reasonably safe" being relevant to your experience level...

USER BEWARE!!

G0X0Y0Z0A0B0

M98 P01 L250
G0X0Y0Z0A0B0
M30

O01
G0X30Y30Z20A90B90
G0X-30Y-30Z-20A-90B-90
M99
(one week later)

The scripting in Mach is complete and we have home and probe on all the axis and setting up all the G54 offsets

so time to buckle down and figure out RhinoCam!

so we can test all the axis together!!!!

and after some dialling in she got her fist wax!!

And finally she is cutting! (one week later)

and that outcome!

Submit "Millicent gets 5 Axis Upgrade!" to Digg Submit "Millicent gets 5 Axis Upgrade!" to del.icio.us Submit "Millicent gets 5 Axis Upgrade!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Millicent gets 5 Axis Upgrade!" to Google

Updated 11-23-2014 at 08:57 AM by Chris Botha

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

please let me know do you sell this 5 axis machine interested in buying it
    send me details to [EMAIL="eurostarjewelry@outlook.com"]eurostarjewelry@outlook.com[/EMAIL] thanks
    Iam cad designer intersted in buying a mill
    waiting to hear thanks

my website : [url]www.thaicadservices.com[/url]
    For Smart relocation Services,Visit Us at:
    [url=http://www.shiftingguide.in/packers-and-movers-hyderabad.html]Packers and movers in Hyderabad[/url]
    [url=http://www.shiftingguide.in/packers-and-movers-hyderabad.html]Packers and movers Hyderabad[/url]